AVID is program designed to prepare students for college and for a successful career. AVID applications are due by Wednesday, April 16, 2014. Applications must be turned in to Mrs. Freitas in the main office. Click here to view a short video on the AVID program. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on AVID. You may also visit the AVID website to learn more.
The Mission of AVID
To ensure that all students, especially those in the middle, are capable of completing a college preparatory path and:
- will succeed in the most rigorous curriculum
- will enter the mainstream activities of the school
- will increase their enrollment in four-year universities
- will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
What Happens in the AVID Class?
- AVID students participate in the AVID elective class each year while taking the most challenging academic classes offered.
- They learn time management and study skills.
- They visit university campuses and learn about planning early for college admissions.
- AVID students participate in academic tutorials with college tutors, and hear speakers who visit their AVID class.
Who Participates in an AVID Class?
AVID students are first-generation college preparatory students who:
- have a grade-point average of about 1.5-3.5,
- have satisfactory school citizenship,
- have a good attendance record,
- have good work habits,
- are willing to commit themselves to a minimum of 1 hour homework every night, and
- want to attend a four-year college or university after graduation from high school.
How To Join the AVID Program
- Turn in this completed application to Mrs. Freitas by Wednesday, April 16, 2014. (Includes a questionnaire and two letters of recommendation from a CMS teacher)
- If selected, you then will participate in an interview to determine if you are a good candidate for AVID
- If selected, you must enroll in the AVID elective class offered here at CMS
THE CAASPP PILOT TEST HAS BEGUN. Click on the link below to read the “Parent and Guardian” notification letter that was mailed last week.
LA PRUEBA PILOTO CAASPP HA COMENZADO. Haga clic en el enlace de abajo para leer la carta de notificación “Parent and Guardian” que se envió por correo la semana pasada.
CAASSP Parent Notification - Espanol
- CAASPP Training and Practice Test - To take the practice test, click on the “sign-in” box, then select a grade level and click the “yes” box. On the “Your Test-Select a Test” screen, select one of the test “Practice” options.
- California Department of Education – Information on CAASPP Test
- Informational Video regarding Field Test – Grade 6-8 Smarter Balance Field Test Video for California
- Smarter Balance Field Test Information - Information for Parents/Guardians and Students
- Informacion en Espanol
Schedule subject to change.
Patterson School District Art & Music Extravaganza, May 6, 2014, 4:30 – 7:00pm, at Walnut Grove Gym.
Please join us at Walnut Grove Elementary School on May 6, 2014 for the Patterson School District Art & Music Extravaganza!!